Our new building, the result of the passing of the 2009 bond, opened its doors for the first time on September 4, 2012. Our former building was completed in the late summer of 1955 and opened its doors on October 31, 1955, with grades 1, 2, 3, and 4. Our enrollment that first year was 200 students. These students came from Browne and Loma Vista Schools. The location was opposed by some because parents did not want their children walking up the hill through the woods.
Grades 5 and 6 were added in 1956, increasing the size of the school from 8 to 12 classrooms. Due to increasing enrollment projections and rapid home building in the area, a gym and extra classrooms were also added. Construction of the south wing was started in the spring of 1959 and was completed by the opening of the 1959-60 school year.
Westview was opened under the efficient and diplomatic leadership of Miss Nora Swanson. She was adept at enabling the staff to reach a high attainment of excellence. By good fortune, or by careful choice, the faculty was one in which there was a considerable rapport. This extraordinary measure of respect and friendship among the staff thus became the foundation for the achievements of Westview.
The following principals continued in the same tradition as Nora Swanson and Arthur Ewy: Walter Wildey (1969-71), Morton Gray (1971-73), Don McDavis (1973-80), Glen "Patrick" Shauvin (1980-81), William Graham (Sept. 1981-Oct. 1981), Ned Hammond (1986-86), Jerry Senn (1986-1992), Margret McGilvray (1992-Dec 2004), and Brad Lundstrom (Jan 2005-June 2005).
We look forward to a long history of educating children in this beautiful new facility as we continue striving for excellence and making Westview a school to be proud of for its supportive parents, enthusiastic students, and superb teachers.