The original Hutton School contained six rooms and was constructed in 1920-1921 of brick and concrete blocks with a tile roof and stucco exterior for $96,200. This new school replaced the Rockwood School at nearby 24th Avenue and Hatch Street. Although a portable building was added to the Rockwood School in 1919, the school proved to be inadequate and was closed when Hutton School was ready for use in September 1921.
The new school was named for Spokane pioneer and philanthropist, Levi W. Hutton, who was one of the owners of the famed Hercules Mine in the Coeur d’Alene area. The September 2, 1920, school board meeting minutes show that Dr. C. H. Eikenbary moved that the school be named Hutton School in honor of L.W. Hutton “whose interest in children has been manifested by his donation of the Hutton Children’s Home.”
As Spokane grew, so did the needs of the school, and in 1930 authorization was given to add four rooms and an auditorium to Hutton School.
As the student population grew in later years, eighth grade students attended Jefferson School while the seventh grade girls were sent to Roosevelt for home economics classes.
Acquisition of 2.45 acres in 1945 enlarged the grounds to 5.48 acres and changed the scope of the playground.Hutton Elementary was renovated in 2014-2015. The original historical building facade was kept, while the rest of the structure was rebuilt.
Hutton School currently has 47 staff members with a population of 609 students. The school colors are blue and white with a hawk as the school mascot.