Our School

  • Sheridan Elementary School was built in 1908 due to the increase in population of the city of Spokane between 1900 to 1910. Several new schools were built, with the original Sheridan School opening with four rooms, four teachers, a principal, and 74 students. Due to increased enrollment, additions were added in 1909, 1911, 1917, and 1953. The first principal of Sheridan Elementary School was Ida M. Pattee, and she served the school from 1908 to 1916.

    The original building was torn down in 1980 to make room for the current building, now known as Frances Scott Elementary. Additional space was needed and the building is now placed just to the east of the original school. The school site has increased from 1.82 acres to the current 4.12 acres.

old sheridan elementary building
  • In earlier days Spokane's Eastside was referred to as Union Park by its residents. Homes were scattered throughout the area and agriculture was the interest of the day. Chickens and horses were very evident. In 1917 the school board voted to enclose a small portion of each schoolyard as a garden patch. Here the children were taught to grow and care for plants. Sheridan Elementary was ahead of the act and the Sheridan School Home Garden Club was considered the strongest in the city.

    The Sheridan attendance area has changed drastically in the past 80 years. At one time the streetcar traveled east on Fifth Avenue and turned south on Freya Street turning around then on Twelfth Avenue. The streetcar was the major means of transportation in those days. Students enjoyed hearing the whistle of trains as they traversed the south hill on their way to Pullman and points south. Trains crossed Thor Street by means of a viaduct at the point where Thor Street becomes Ray Street. Further east it crossed at a point where 14th Avenue and Freya Street is today. The Omaha Meat Market, Horseman's Grocery, and Clark’s Dry Goods were located on Fifth Avenuebetween Greene Street and Haven Street. The Piggly Wiggly Grocery Store located in the building now occupied by Porter’s Drug served the residents east of Thor Street.

    The only remaining landmarks of the original site are the two great London plane trees just to the west of our building. These were near the entrance to the original building. While demolishing the building, a time capsule buried in June of 1935 was found in February of 1981. A new capsule with more extensive information was then buried in June of 1981.

    If history repeats itself, someday, someone will undoubtedly be digging up our most recent 1981 capsule…. We wonder what they will think!