Download for information
ASB, budget planning & reports
What makes TCS different? At The Community School, we turn learning upside down. Instead of teacher-centered instruction, learning is student-driven. Instead of a six-period day where courses are taught separately, students dive into authentic projects that integrate core subjects. The Community School is affiliated with the New Tech Network, and is the first NTN school in Eastern Washington. There are over 200 NTN schools in 28 states. The New Tech Network model is based on four design pillars:
- Outcomes that Matter - Student outcomes for college, career and civic life readiness
- Teaching that Engages - Project and problem-based approach to instruction
- Culture that Empowers - School-wide culture of empowerment for students and adults
- Technology that Enables - Use of technology for collaboration, access to information, and self-directed learning.
Students who are seeking a unique approach to high school may be ideally suited for The Community School. The day is not divided into one-hour periods of separate subjects. Instead, we use Project Based Learning (PBL) to integrate standards through engaging, inquiry-driven learning experiences.
Our teachers design authentic, rigorous projects that connect to authentic phenomena in the real world. Instead of textbook-driven assignments, chapter or unit assessments, or lecture notes that lead to a future test, our students must utilize the critical thinking, creativity, and collaboration required for deeper learning. Our students develop important oral communication skills through public presentations of their learning. Students who want to drive their learning and develop a growth mindset flourish at TCS.
Our culture is another important aspect at TCS. Anyone who has had an opportunity to visit a New Tech Network School will agree that it “feels” different. Based on the ideas of trust, respect and responsibility, we work closely with our students to create a supportive, professional environment. To create and maintain this environment requires strong relationships plus commitment from staff and students alike.
TCS Mission & Vision
Our Mission: The Community School is a school of choice where every student can flourish in a supportive, personalized learning environment. Through project-based, ‘real life’ learning, we create a vibrant culture that encourages creativity, problem-solving, and a commitment to making the world a better place. Our graduates are ready for life after high school—college, career, and lifelong learning.
Learning that is:
- Student driven through collaborative and individual learning experiences
- Rigorous and innovative by incorporating 21st-century skills
- Relevant and authentic through community connected explorations
- Every individual has infinite worth.
- Equity and diversity are essential values in our school.
- Student voice and student choice are encouraged and valued.
- Real-life, authentic learning leads to deeper understanding.
- Sustained, supportive relationships between students and adults are crucial to success in school.
- Developing Habits of Mind, Heart and Health prepare students for a positive, productive future.
- Building self-confidence and self-reliance empowers students for future success.
- Global competence, awareness, and responsibility are vital in this 21st century.