Apply for Running Start
Step by Step Guides for Running Start:
Quarterly To Do List
Each quarter while in Running Start at the Community Colleges, you will need to…
Before the quarter begins:
1. Use the online catalogue to select the courses you plan to take in the upcoming quarter.
2. Either in person or through email contact Sara Duval with the information for each course.
a. Department Name and Number
b. Exact Course Title (Not Abbreviations)
c. Item Number for the course time and days you want
d. Number of Credits for Each Course
3. Pick up your Enrollment Verification form from Sara Duval (If you take care of this task early enough – it is possible to have the form mailed to you through the U.S. Mail).
4. Turn your completed Enrollment Verification form into the Running Start office on your campus by the specified deadline.
5. Return the pink carbon copy from the Enrollment Verification form to Sara Duval at TEC
by the specified date.
6. Go online and sign-up for your classes during your registration appointment time. Since classes often fill quickly, you should not delay your registration.
7. Purchase textbooks and supplies for the courses you selected. Doing this early will allow you to locate books and materials on the internet – a much more reasonably priced option.
During the quarter:
1. Keep track of the important college/academic dates for each quarter. Dates to drop or alter your schedule may be extremely important if you are not going to be successful in a class. Dropping a class without penalty or with a ‘W’ (Withdraw) listing are much easier choices and outcomes versus receiving a failing grade on your permanent transcript.
2. This may sound obvious – but keep current with all class assignments, projects, quizzes and tests. It is easy to become overwhelmed quickly by falling behind. The course syllabus from your instructor should provide all important dates and class obligations.
3. If you run into any difficulty with your courses or schedule, do not hesitate to contact
Barb Hahto (SFCC), Gretchen Ford (SCC) or Sara Duval (TEC) for help.
Updated December 2012.
Below are websites that might be helpful for you as you work to secure books for Running Start. There are sites that deal exclusively with textbook rentals as well as retail venders. If you do not plan to ‘keep’ your books or do further study in the same academic field, renting books is a great and affordable option. Your college book store may also have rental options – so look online at their web page to see if that would be a better local fit for your needs. Hopefully, you will find a resource that will make paying for your books much more reasonable. Don’t forget that many books are available on both the Kindle and Nook devices and that might be another way to save some $.
GRADUATION OPTIONS FOR TEC RUNNING START STUDENTS – 2013-2014
Running Start students wishing to earn a high school diploma have several methods of achieving this goal through TEC.
Earning a Spokane Public Schools diploma:
As of the fall of 2012, The Enrichment Cooperative will be awarding credits and grades for classes taken by high school students. Courses taken on the college campuses can contribute to fulfilling graduation requirements. Please refer to the college’s equivalency guides for specific course information.
As of July 2009, there is a non-traditional high school diploma option that is ideal for many
Running Start/home school students.
ANY STUDENT EARNING AN ASSOCIATES (AA, AAS or AST) DEGREE ORIGINATED THROUGH RUNNING START WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE ELIGIBLE FOR A WASHINGTON STATE HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA UPON RECEIPT OF THE COMMUNITY COLLEGE DEGREE.
Unfortunately, for those of you considering Running Start through EWU, this high school diploma option is only available through the community college system (because it is linked to earning a two-year degree).
Other than working to earn an Associate’s degree, no preliminary work is required to receive this diploma. At the time of application, there will be a $20.00 charge for paperwork and diploma printing.
If you have any questions, please contact Sara Duval (email@example.com ).