Grade Level: 11, 12
Credits: 3 per year (1.5 per semester)
Location: On-site at NEWTech
Duration: 540 hours (year-long) with an optional Year Two 540-hour course available
Instructor: Matt Buchanan
Year One Course - Junior or Senior standing
Year Two Course - B or better in Year 1 course and instructor's approval
Program Description: This 1080-hour course (Year 1 and 2) prepares students for a variety of jobs within the industry, including designer, media development, and media production management. Students will produce their own games and learn foundational programming and project management skills through the creation of computer games geared toward the digital interactive entertainment industry. The first half of the year focuses on building challenges in the design of games using programming techniques taught in the class. The second half of the year focuses on student development of high level gaming incorporating advanced design elements using physics and artificial intelligence. U.S .Game industry is now valued over 20 billion dollars. Get a head start in this exciting field at NEWTECH.
High School Credit Equivalencies: 1.0 Math
Certifications: Precision Exams
Careers in this field:
- Game designer
- Game programmer
- Game artist
- Game animator
- Quality assurance
- Software engineer
Digital Game Design Coure Outcomes
- Be able to create a casual game focused to be played on a web-based platform
- Have a digital portfolio containing important documents that represent examples of work, interests, achievements, certificates, experiences, goals and focus of study.
- Be prepared to continue your course of study into the next level of education to a 2 year or 4 year College or University.
- Be prepared to take transferable 21st Century Skills with you into your next job or workplace.
- Have industry recognized certifications in the areas of CPR, First Aid, Game Programming, or Web Development.