The Running Start program offers eligible high school juniors and seniors who seek expanded educational challenges the option of enrolling simultaneously in high school and college classes, or solely in college classes, for the purpose of earning credit to be awarded both by the high school district and by the college. Classes taken through the Running Start program must be at college level (numbered 100 and above).
Routed through the local school district, the tuition for Running Start credits (up to 15 credits per quarter) is paid by state funding. An entrance assessment, course textbooks fees and supplies are the financial responsibility of the Running Start student and their family.
The Running Start program is offered at the following three colleges. Please visit their website for additional information.
Spokane Falls Community College
***Disclaimer: Credits and grades earned through the Running Start Program are NOT WEIGHTED when factored into the high school GPA.***
What are some characteristics linked to success in Running Start?
- At least a 3.0 cumulative high school GPA (you may need to provide additional information to the college if below a 3.0)
- Past experience and success in Honors/AP classes. (This is not a requirement, but it can be a HUGE jump from traditional high school classes to college level courses)
- Successful completion of Algebra 2. If you have not taken Algebra 2 yet, you will need to complete this course at Ferris while accessing Running Start.
- Strong communication skills, time management skills, maturity, independence, organizational skills, and consistent attendance.
- A year long commitment to the Running Start program. (It is VERY hard to transfer back to high school after participating in Running Start since they follow a different calendar/ schedule)
Interested in applying for the 2023-2024 school year?
STEP 1: Parent and student, please watch the Running Start information video. CLICK HERE
STEP 2: Please call the Student Office at 509-354-6049 to schedule a meeting with the Running Start counselor. Both the parent and the student must attend.
EWU Only: Soar into EWU
Running Start Info Night
March 16th 5:30-6:30pm in Cheney
March 18th 10:00am-11:00am zoom option
Running Start Counselor
JOIN RUNNING START REMIND
Class of 2023: Text @cdh744 to the number 81010
Class of 2024: Text @efk9bff to the number 81010
Class of 2025: Text @rs2025 to the number 81010