Grade Level Checklist
The Shadle Park Counseling Team has created a grade level checklist to help students and families know what to focus on each year in high school.
- Every Grade Matters! Your grades start contributing NOW towards graduation and your overall GPA which colleges will use for admissions.
- Create a High School and Beyond Plan, and identify a Personalized Pathway. Map out your courses for each year you are at Shadle, and align them with your goals for the future.
- Get Involved. Find a club or activity where you can meet people with similar interests
- Start identifying your strengths and passions
- Ask questions when you don’t understand something. Teachers do not expect you to know everything day one.
- Tackle missing assignments and credits early. Procrastination will increase stress later on.
- Explore summer opportunities like an internship or volunteer position.
- Visit the Counseling Center so you know where to go when you need help and guidance.
- Keep your grades up, ask for help when you need it.
- Check in with your school counselor
- Update your High School and Beyond Plan and Personal Pathway when interests change
- Continue attending classes regularly, stay involved in extracurricular activities, and don’t be afraid to challenge yourself academically
- Attend Dual Credit Night in the spring to learn about earning college credit while in high school
- Explore post-secondary options (in-person and/or online) and note things that you like and don’t like. For example, tour colleges and universities, trade schools, apprenticeships, etc.
- Get familiar with the PSAT and start preparing to the SAT. Resources available on the Shadle Park Counseling website.
- Take the Smarter Balanced state assessment (SBAC) in the spring to meet graduation requirements in English and Math.
- Use your summer wisely. Make-up credits in summer school, volunteer in the community, tour college campuses, get a summer job.
- Update your High School and Beyond Plan and Personalized Pathway if needed.
- Check in with your school counselor
- Keep your grades up! Your junior year grades are the last ones that will impact your GPA when you start applying to post-secondary options in the fall of your senior year.
- Create a resume that lists your activities, awards, and recognitions.
- Continue to research options for after high school, narrow down to your top 3
- Continue taking challenging courses, but make sure not to overload yourself.
- Take the PSAT in the Fall to qualify for the National Merit Scholarship.
- Take the SAT at Shadle in March for FREE!
- Retake the SBAC in the spring if needed.
- Don’t be afraid to try something new! Get involved! Extracurriculars and leadership roles stand out on applications
- Start searching for scholarships and financial aid options
- Finish credit recovery so you don’t have to worry about it during your senior year!
- Update your High School and Beyond Plan and Personalized Pathway. Finish all required parts (it is required for graduation) and report to Mrs. Eberhardt in the Career Center.
- Check in with your school counselor and make sure everything is in place for graduation and college admissions.
- Attend ALL Senior Class Meetings throughout the year, and Senior Workshops on PSAT Day.
- Mark up your calendar with important dates and deadlines (found in your Senior Survival Guide, see Mrs Eberhardt if you did not receive one!)
- Retake SAT off campus and/or SBAC if needed.
- Request Supplemental Documents through Schoolinks and Letters of Recommendation if required as part of your application
- Complete the FAFSA. It is FREE and is required by majority of post-secondary programs to qualify for scholarships
- Request official transcripts from the Shadle Park Counseling Center.
- Complete at least ONE college application before Thanksgiving Break. (Attend Shadle Park Application Week in October for support!) See your school counselor if you need a fee waiver.
- Stay motivated! Post-secondary programs will request a final transcript after you complete your senior year, which can affect admission and scholarship offers made in the fall.
- Attend specific Shadle Park informational nights and workshops designed to help you navigate and support you through your senior year
- DON’T FORGET…. Have Fun Too 😊 Congrats! You Made it!!