Register as an English Language Learner
Potential English Language Learners
- What language did your child learn first?
- What language does your child use the most at home?
If your answer to either question is not English, contact the Family Registration and Orientation Center (FROC) to register your child for school: 509.354.6263.
If your child is identified as a potential English Language Learner, you will need to register the student at the Family Registration and Orientation Center (FROC) at 1807 N. Washington, C-101. Please call to make an appointment: 509.354.6263.
What do I need to bring with me to register?
- A birth certificate or other official verification of age (such as a passport or visa) is required for students who have not previously enrolled in school. Kindergarten students must be 5 on or before Aug. 31; first graders must be 6.
- Proof of residency. This can be a current driver's license or ID, or a current utility bill.
- Registration forms. These are available at the school, or you can download the entire registration packet here.
To assist you, FROC will:
- Register all school-aged children in a family at one location.
- Determine which school each child will attend.
- Arrange transportation for students if needed.
- Provide interpreter services in the family’s primary language.
- Provide orientation on district policies, including basic translated information.
- Introduce the family to the ELD program and its services.
- Notify the receiving school that children are ready for placement and provide an orientation meeting at the school site.
- Prepare registration packet for receiving schools and family.
Secondary Placement Test
High school and middle school students are required to complete a placement test to determine class schedules and entrance into the Newcomer program at the middle and high school, if eligible. SPS is required to administer this English Language Proficiency Assessment Screener (ELPA Screener) within three days of the student's entry into the school district. It is essential that new students register at FROC, not at their school.
Contact Debbie Battista or a Language Specialist to make an appointment to register.
Director of ELD
ELD Advocacy Specialist
TOSA Title III K-12
Family Registration & Orientation Center (FROC)
1807 N. Washington, C101
Spokane, WA 99205