The Alternative Parent Participation Learning Experience (APPLE) program is open to all children in grades K-6 who live within Spokane Public Schools’ boundaries. Families commit to volunteer 90 hours per year (approximately 2.5 hrs. per week) in a variety of ways. Some examples include:
- Working in the classroom with individuals and small groups
- Preparing materials and supplies
- Attending monthly evening meetings
- Chaperoning field trips
- Serving on a committee
- Assisting with the whole school PTG
APPLE families become part of a dynamic, caring community sharing a common goal of enriched learning for children through parent involvement.
Franklin Elementary • 2627 E. 17th Ave. • 509.354.2620
Garfield Elementary • 222 W. Knox Ave. • 509.354.2700
Annual curricular plans are determined by standard based objectives, themes and goals jointly developed by parents, teachers, students and APPLE teachers’ professional knowledge.
SPS-approved core curriculum and instructional materials are used in APPLE classrooms. Teachers use parent participation and community resources both in the classroom and during field trips to enrich learning and provide students with hands-on, real world experiences and connections.
How to join
Inevitably, there are more interested families than available spots each year. Families wishing to be placed in the lottery must:
- Complete the online application between Jan. 1 and Feb. 15
- Attend a parent information session:
- Franklin: Feb. 10, 2020, from 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Garfield: Feb. 11, 2020, from 6:30-7:30 p.m.
It is also strongly recommended that families attend an Open House, which is held during the school day.