School Reopening and COVID-19 Updates
Oct. 23 message
Dear SPS Families,
Thank you for your continued efforts to fill the 2020-21 school year with grace, growth and learning. Your partnership will be instrumental as we work to safely and successfully transition our students to in-person learning.
Update: In-person Instruction
At the Oct. 28 Special Meeting, district leadership will provide an update to School Board members on the process of returning kindergarten students to in-person instruction, and will discuss the potential phasing in of 1st graders. Register to attend the virtual board meeting here.
Daily Health Check
We need your help! Each day, parents/guardians are required to complete the health check for each of their students attending school in person. Please complete the check at least 30 minutes before the start of school to help ensure a successful start to the school day.
Please do your part to keep our community safe and healthy: wash your hands often, be mindful of social distancing, and wear a face covering. Find our safety protocol videos here.
Our COVID-19 Dashboard provides school-by-school numbers of:
- confirmed positive cases
- individuals who have had a close contact in a school building with a confirmed case
- individuals in quarantine
- confirmed cases of transmission originating inside a school
- confirmed cases of transmission originating outside a school
Free Meals through June 21
The USDA extended the Free Summer Meals Program through the end of the 2020-21 school year. That means 5-day meal kits will continue to be free to children 18 and younger all year. Find pickup times and locations, mobile meals routes and menus here.
NOTE: Though families do not have to fill out a free and reduced-price meal application to receive meals this year, it’s still important to fill out an application to ensure schools receive the state and federal grant funding that’s based on application completion rates.
Please drive safely if you have to be out in today’s kick-off to winter, and remember to vote by Nov. 3!
Thank you for your continued support.
Spokane Public Schools
Local, state and national resources
- WA Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)
- Spokane Regional Health District
- Washington State Department of Health
- WA State Department of Health novel coronavirus call center: 1-800-525-0127, press #
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Employment Security Department