2021 Replacement Levy
The Educational Programs & Operations Levy Election is Feb. 9.
What is a school levy?
- School levies support essential programs, staff and services that provide a quality education for our students.
- The levy is a way for the Spokane community to provide a well-rounded education for SPS students.
- The 2021 levy replaces the expiring 2018 levy and is not a new tax.
- The total estimated tax rate for schools will be less than in 2018 and prior years.
What does a levy fund?
Levy funding supports essential programs, people and services, such as
- Behavior specialists
- Student intervention programs
- Special education services
- Technology support
- Smaller class sizes
- Advanced Placement courses
- Arts, music, and drama
SPS Budget Funding Sources
Levy/LEA - $64.6 million
- Levy - $52.7 million
- LEA - $11.9 million
LEA (Local Effort Assistance) is funding from the state to help equalize the tax effort for communities, like Spokane, whose total assessed property value is below the state average.
State, Federal, Private Program Support - $409.9 million
- State - $390.3 million
- Federal - $4.6 million
- Private (fees, gifts) - $ 15.0 million
2021-22 Estimated Budgeted Revenue: $474.5 million
2021-22 Estimated Budgeted Expenditures: $491.4 million
Replacement Levy Amounts & Estimated Tax Rates
*Per $1,000 of assessed valuation
This page will be updated with more information as it becomes available.