Frequently Asked Questions

    • School bus driver jobs are handled through our transportation provider, Zum Services Inc.

Before You Apply

Application Requirements

A complete list of application requirements:


  • Resume
  • Two letters of recommendation or current college placement file
  • Transcripts (unofficial copies are acceptable)
  • Copy of Washington State Administrator Certificate, if available


Candidates are encouraged to thoroughly complete their employment application with all relevant information, including uploading supporting items such as transcripts, certification(s).

  • Resume
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • Transcripts (unofficial copies are acceptable)
  • Copy of Washington State Certificate, if available


Candidates are encouraged to thoroughly complete their employment application with all relevant information, including uploading supporting items such as transcripts and certification(s).

  • Resume
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • Transcripts if available/applicable
  • Copy of license, if applicable



  • Resume
  • Two letters of recommendation

*Note: If hired, candidates MUST complete a Washington State Sexual Misconduct Disclosure Release Form for each school district in which they worked (including substituting).

Application information

  • When filling out the online application, please be sure to provide specific examples of your experience and qualifications as they relate to the position for which you are applying.
  • Applications are specific to the role and may carry varying requirements. Review application requirements in the above section "Application Requirements". If you are not allowed to submit your application, that usually means a required field has not been completed. Try scrolling through to find what you may have missed. Only completed applications will be considered for interviews. 

Interview information

  • Additional assessments may be administered before or after an interview as part of the hiring process.
  • Application updates and interview invitations will be relayed via phone or email. It is vital that all contact information is accurate and up to date.
  • If you have applied for a position and are not selected, you will receive an email when the position is filled.

Hiring Timeline

What to expect & when

spring Mid‐May: Certificated teacher openings are posted.
Visit our Jobs page!

May & June: Internal applicants have first rights to open positions. Many of these positions go to internal transfers, but then we post for the back‐fill. During these months, external applicants often get interviewed and hired – it all depends on how many internal applicants apply. 


sun July: Hiring teams screen and interview both internal and external applicants. Internal staff are still transferring throughout the district, but external applicants will start seeing more movement on their applications.

August: We are usually only hiring external applicants from August through the start of the school year, since internal staff can no longer transfer throughout the district. 


autumn    September: Back to school!


Frequently Asked Questions

I am applying for a certificated position and I don’t quite have my official Washington State Teaching/ESA Certificate yet. What do I upload in it’s place?

If you have started the process to obtain your certificate with OSPI and have submitted the required documents, but things are still under review with OSPI, you can upload a placeholder document with general timelines and status of your certificate. 


An example might be: “I submitted all of the required paperwork to my OSPI e-certificate profile, my university has submitted all of the paperwork, and as of May 10th, my documents are under review with OSPI.  The certificate will list the following endorsements once approved with OSPI:  Elementary Education & K-12 Special Education.”

How will I be considered for a teaching position once my application is complete?

Most teaching positions are posted in May. From May through July, the district reviews and considers internal transfers. In August, remaining open positions become available for external candidates. 

How do I ... ?

  • Change or update something in my main profile?
    1. Select the Sign In link at the top right of the main jobs page.
    2. Log in with your username or email and your password.
    3. Once logged in, select your name which now appears in the upper right box.
    4. Go to Profile to make updates or changes.
  • Apply for positions?
    • If you have a current profile with us, you can log in with the Sign In link at the top right of the main jobs page. Once logged in, select the open role you are interested in, and select the green Apply button to apply directly for that role.
    • If you do not have a saved profile, you will need to create one. You can do this by signing on as a new user. 
  • Add documents to my file?
    • Sign in and add any documents in your profile. You can select "add" to upload documents. 
  • Find out the closing date of a job I applied for?
    • The closing date is listed in the top of the posting.
      Note: Jobs close at 5 p.m. the day of, not 11:59 p.m. Most jobs are posted for a minimum of 5 days. 

What if I am unable to upload the resume and letters of recommendation?

If you have any issues with the system, click on the Menu button on the top left of the main jobs page. From there, select Help and Support. Any question you have should be answered within this help screen. For additional support, call the NeoGov help line at 1.855.524.5627.

What if my supervisor is not allowed to write a letter of recommendation (per company policy)?

You may submit your last employee performance evaluation. Many employers are willing to write a “personal” letter of reference that speaks to your work history, not on company letterhead, which is an acceptable alternative.

Do I need to resubmit my letters of recommendation and resume each time I apply for a job?

Submitted documents will stay in your profile. Select your saved documents from your profile to attach to each position you apply for. 

Do I need official transcripts to have a complete application?

No. Official transcripts are needed upon hire. Unofficial copies can be uploaded into your application.

I am currently student teaching. Can I apply for teaching positions which require a certificate?

If you are on track to complete your student teaching, you are eligible to begin applying for full-time positions that will begin after you have received your Residency Teacher Certificate. You do not have to wait until your certificate has been issued to begin applying for positions.

What other documents will I need to provide if offered a position at SPS?

All new employees are required to complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9), issued by the US Immigration and Naturalization Service, which requires documentation to establish eligibility.

All new employees will be fingerprinted and will complete a background disclosure upon hire. 

If I have questions about Equal Employment Opportunity policies, who do I contact?

Please contact Human Resources at 509.354.7265 and you will be directed to the Equal Employment Opportunities Officer.

What if I need a special accommodation to complete the application?

Please contact our Human Resources office for assistance at 509.354.7265.

Who do I contact with questions about my teaching certificate?

Questions regarding certification can be directed to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction:

apply now
  • Contact

    NeoGov Helpline: 855.524.5627
    HR main line: 509.354.7265