2019 Legislative Priorities
The Spokane Public Schools Board of Directors urge the Legislature and the Governor to focus on passing legislation in 2019 that would:
ENSURE FULL IMPLEMENTATION OF THE EDUCATION FUNDING PLAN
- Provide State investment in special education students by updating funding formulas to accurately reflect cost.
- Provide investment in school health by increasing the funding allocation for school nurses and mental health support for students.
- Delay class size compliance requirements found in HB 2242 until the legislature provides sufficient capital funding for K-3 class size reduction.
- Provide direct funding for the School Employees Benefit Board (SEBB).
PROVIDE ADEQUATE CAPITAL FUNDING FOR SCHOOL CONSTRUCTION
- Update the school construction assistance program formula to reflect true construction costs and funding for K-3 class size reduction.
PROVIDE SCHOOL DISTRICTS WITH THE FLEXIBILITY AND TOOLS NECESSARY TO HELP MEET STUDENT NEEDS
- Allow the SAT and ACT to be used for graduation and federal accountability tests in accordance with new federal legislation that provides for this local option.
- Allow flexibility in graduation requirements to ensure all students have an opportunity to succeed in accordance with their high school and beyond plans.
- Provide adequate investment in school safety.
IMPROVE THE EDUCATOR WORFORCE
- Make investments in the educator pipeline, recognize out of state and other industry experience, and provide funding for mentors and other strategies to improve employee retention.
- Ensure due process hearings for terminated employees are held within 60 days, to reduce the amount of funding utilized for employees who are on administrative leave.
- Ensure equitable salaries through a statewide salary schedule as well as statewide collective bargaining.
Our Guiding Principles are:
- Each student can learn and deserves our best efforts.
- High expectations and rigorous standards are essential to prepare students for their future success.
- Accountability is essential to ensure excellence for everyone.
- Diversity in people and ideas enhances learning and strengthens our community.
- A variety of learning environments, educational options, and instructional techniques creates a setting where all students can succeed.
- Education is a partnership involving students, parents, staff, and the community.
- Transparent communication with all stakeholders is essential.
- All decisions must be student-focused and data-driven.
- Fiscal stability strengthens our schools and community.
Our Strategic Goals are:
- Strategic Goal I: Increase Student Achievement
- Strategic Goal II: Provide a Safe, Productive Learning and Working Environment
- Strategic Goal III: Build and Maintain a Talented, Effective Workforce
- Strategic Goal IV: Operate Efficiently
- Strategic Goal V: Ensure Public Support and Customer Satisfaction
Decisions to support or oppose legislation, or take a position on funding proposals, will be based on whether the legislation or proposals are consistent with the district's guiding principles and assist in meeting the district's strategic goals.
200 North Bernard Street
Spokane, WA 99201-0206