• School Choice

    SPS offers an array of school options so that families have the freedom to choose the school that is right for their child. For most SPS families, the best fit will likely be their neighborhood school. Others may prefer one with a certain focus or different way of learning. Explore our schools and programs here.

    If you are interested in having your student attend a school other than their neighborhood school:

1. Apply:

To get started, please create an account or sign in to our online school choice application system. In this system, you will be able to submit applications for each student in your household, monitor the status of those applications, and respond to admission offers.

NOTE: If you already have a student attending the school you want to apply to, please add the second student to your existing account.

2. Accept:

If you are applying to an Option School (Montessori, APPLE, TEC, The Community School, or IST Middle School Program), you will learn whether you will be offered a seat from that school at a time to be determined.

If you are applying to a neighborhood school outside your attendance area, you can check your application/waitlist status online anytime. You will learn whether you will be offered a seat by August at the latest, possibly sooner. Neighborhood schools typically have fewer spots available and have to account for new students moving into their attendance area over the summer.

Priority is given in the following order:

  1. Neighborhood students (including overload students)
  2. Children of SPS employees (RCW 28A.225.225)
  3. Siblings of currently enrolled students
  4. In-district students
  5. Out-of-district students

3. Register:

Beginning March 1. Once you have accepted an enrollment offer, new students will need to complete the SPS student registration. If you are already enrolled in SPS, your registration information will be transferred to your new school.

  • Transfer in to SPS

    Do you live in a different school district? Spokane Public Schools welcomes transfer requests from all students interested in attending school in our district.

    Please call 509.354.7393 to obtain an interdistrict transfer form. Once the form is submitted and accepted, you can apply for the school you'd like to attend.

    To ensure we do not compromise the quality of our educational programs, transfer requests from those who live outside district boundaries will be considered based on several factors, including adequate staffing and enrollment capacity, fiscal uncertainties and program availability and capacity. All transfer requests from those outside our district will be considered after transfers from within the district have been completed.

  • Transfer out of SPS

    Occasionally circumstances will arise that require a student to leave the district. In order for us to better understand the reasons for this decision, we encourage families to meet with the principal, assistant principal or counselor at their student's school to discuss their reason for leaving.

    To transfer out of our school district, complete the Out-of-District Transfer Request form available from the Student Services department in the administration building at 200 N. Bernard.

boy with abacus
  • Contact

    Student Services