Summer Meal Program Information
Starting the week of June 20 and continuing throughout the summer, Spokane Public Schools will offer free meals to all children 18 and younger.
- Note: Check back often! Summer Meal sites, serving times & menus are subject to change.
- The 2022 Summer Meal program starts on June 21. The program will end on Aug. 19.
- No meal service July 4.
Who is served by the summer meal program?
- All children 18 years and younger are eligible. There is no registration or fee. Children may come all or any days they wish.
- Parents are encouraged to come with their children. Parents may bring their own meal, but cannot eat any of their child's meal.
- The meal must be eaten at the site and be finished within 15 minutes of the final serving time.
Who pays for it?
The Summer Meal Program is a federally funded child nutrition program that feeds children nutritious meals during the summertime, when school is out and children don't have access to school meals. It was created to ensure that children in low-income areas could continue to receive nutritious meals during long school vacations. Funding for the Summer Meal Program is provided with federal dollars and is sufficient to meet expenses related to sponsorship of the program.
The nutritional needs of a large number of children who depend on school lunch meals during the school year are not being met in the summer. Good nutrition is essential for learning.
How are site locations determined?
Service sites for the Summer Meal Program are based on:
- Eligibility criteria
- Interest and need at the school building level
- Interest and need at community centers
- Previous as well as current site participation patterns
Rules for participants
- Must be 1-18 years of age to participate in program.
- Must receive entire meal as a unit.
- Meal must be eaten on site.
- Do not abuse any food items. (Throwing or playing with food)
- Clean up your area after you have finished your meal. (Use trash receptacle)
- Any misconduct that disrupts the Food Service Program will not be tolerated.
- All meals will be served on a first-come, first-served basis.