Charter School Authorization
Charter schools are a type of public school, approved and overseen by a state or district authorizer. Authorizers are the entities that decide who can start a new charter school, set academic and operational expectations, and oversee school performance.
In Washington, there are two charter school authorizers:
- The Washington State Charter School Commission has numerous charter schools across the state.
- Spokane Public Schools (SPS), currently the state’s only district authorizer, has two charter schools that fall within its district boundaries.
To find out more about charter school authorization, visit the National Association of Charter School Authorizers (NACSA).
Spokane Public Schools provides oversight and measures accountability for each charter school using three performance frameworks as well as monitoring for compliance with state and federal laws in collaboration with the Office of Superintendent of Public Institution and the State Auditor’s Office RCW 28A.710.180:
Like all public schools, charter schools do not charge tuition, they are open to all students, and they are publicly funded. Learn more about charter schools from the Washington State Charter Schools Association.
Charter Authorizer Annual Reports
State law requires charter authorizers to submit an annual report to the State Board of Education, who publishes this and other information about Washington State charter schools on their website. The State Board of Education has multiple responsibilities under the charter school law for administration, oversight and reporting.
SPS-Authorized Charter Schools
Lumen High School
- Address: 718 W Riverside Ave, Spokane, WA 99201
- Phone: (509) 606-7888
- Contact: https://www.lumenhighschool.org/contact
- Website: https://www.lumenhighschool.org/
- Grades: 9-12 grade
- Year opened: September 2020
- Mission: Lumen High School is a public charter school that is committed to empowering two generations by providing high academic standards, a specialized early learning center and wrap around supports to meet the layered needs of teen parents. LHS is rooted in belonging, social justice and the empowerment of our staff, students and their children so that a students role as a parent will not be at odds with their role as a student. Students will gain essential skills needed in order to raise healthy children and receive appropriate coursework needed to graduate prepared for contribution to their community, as well as, advancement into higher education and future careers.
- Executive Director: Shauna Edwards
- Board Members & Schedule: https://www.lumenhighschool.org/board-1
- Charter Contract: Charter School Contract
- School Performance:
- Academic: OSPI Report Card
- Financial: 2021 Audited Financial Statement
- Organizational: Student Handbook, Family Engagement
- Annual Reports:
- Address: 811 E Sprague Ave, Spokane, WA 99202
- Phone: (509) 309-7680
- Contact: https://www.prideschools.org/contact
- Website: https://www.prideschools.org/
- Grades: 6-12 grade
- Year opened: September 2016
- Mission: The mission of PRIDE Schools is to honor the diversity and capacity of people through innovative education design. Our students are inspired to create, innovate, and challenge the status quo in a world that demands better designed systems, new solutions, and increased communication.
- Superintendent: Brenda McDonald
- Board Members & Schedule: https://www.prideschools.org/board
- Charter Contract: Charter School Contract June 2021 • Contract Appendices
- School Performance:
- Academic: OSPI Report Card, Annual Report 2022
- Financial: ARP-ESSER Spending Plan
- Organizational: Policies & Procedures, Student Handbook
- Annual Reports:
Charter School Resources
- Washington State Charter Schools Association
- Charter School Leadership Professional Development
- Charter School Commission Infographic
*In addition to the Charter School Commission, Spokane Public Schools is a school district Authorizing Entity for its boundary area.
Document edited with permission from the Washington State Charter School Commission to reflect Spokane Public Schools as one authorizer in Washington’s multi-part system of accountability. Original graphic may be accessed at https://charterschool.wa.gov/documents/CSC_infographic_one-sheet_07Aug2022.pdf